Kale-a-palooza

by Carol Blymire on October 9, 2011

in Cooking

I flew home verrrrrrry this morning from Charleston, SC, and landed in time to make it to the farmers’ market right when it opened.  I was feeling ever so slightly hung-over from my friends’ wedding last night (more from lack of sleep than anything else), so my brain was a little fuzzy but my palate craved something healthy.  I picked up my regular weekly items: a whole chicken to roast, sweet potatoes, onions, garlic, eggs, and lettuce.

Next to the red-leaf lettuce was a display of kale, which I have never really liked at all.  But, I’m bound and determined to find ways to enjoy eating it because it is so incredibly healthy and jam-packed with nutrients and all the necessary vitamins, and other science-y stuff that’s good for us.

I’ve tried making kale chips, but I just don’t like them.  Not sure why.  It’s a texture thing, I think.  And, I’ve shredded kale and tossed it into soup, but I don’t do it often and it kind of feels like all the good stuff gets cooked out of it by the time I eat it.

So, I took to Twitter and asked for some kale ideas, and MAN did folks give me some really great ideas… which I’m posting below so you can try them, too.

Below the Tweets are links to the recipes suggested in the Tweets, as well as links to some others I found this afternoon.   Have at it in the comments, too.  Tell me how you like your kale.  I really wanna know!

Links to kale recipes that sound really, really good to me:

Kale Caesar with Bottarga
Indian-Style Kale and Potatoes

Kale Caesar Salad

Caldo Verde
(Portuguese Kale Soup)
Kale Salad with Pine Nuts and Golden Raisins

Kale and Roasted Vegetable Soup

Braised Kale with Pancetta

Italian Sausage and Kale Gratin

Garlicky Greens

Colcannon

Kale and Black Bean Tacos
Kale with Baked Eggs (just sub in rice or potato flour for the AP flour in this recipe)

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Jean Marie October 9, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I am SO glad you did this! I like kale chips but also thought we should be eating it because it’s good for us – and everybody else seems to be. But I wasn’t sure how to get it into dishes that we’d actually eat. What great ideas.

2 Marisa October 9, 2011 at 7:37 pm

We’ve made that Caldo Verde with a mixture of hot italian and mild italian sausage for a Brown family anniversary party and it was absolutely incredible. Tons of recipes out there. Read through some and pick the elements you like. I also like kale sauteed with some pine nuts, currants, maybe a little apple (which I had aaaaaaages ago at Jaleo in DC). The kale on the pizza mentioned above sounds divine…good luck! :-)

3 heidi robb October 10, 2011 at 10:39 am

You gave your body a big kale boost by simmering it in the soup. A nutritionist told me that kale (and collards, mustard greens, etc.), provide maximum nutritional benefit when cooked – something about breaking down the cell walls – and combined or eaten with some fat.

4 Arden October 10, 2011 at 11:26 am

I also went on a mission to make myself like kale a few years ago. I love it sauteed with sliced sweet potatoes, ginger, garlic, and coconut oil. And from my local grocery store deli, I copied a salad of very thinly sliced raw kale tossed with an orange juice-rice wine vinegar dressing, plus dried cranberries, thin slivers of candied ginger, and toasted sliced almonds.

Maybe the theme here is that I like kale when it has some sweetness added. Balances the bitter? I like bitter greens, but kale’s extra aggressive in that department, I think.

5 Tiffany October 10, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Orangette’s Molly learned to love kale with this excellent recipe:

Kale is delicious in this recipe from Food52, too:

6 Mindy October 12, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Oh my, kale with BACON! I’ll definitely have to try that tip. I too feel like I should use more kale but don’t. Like you said, Carol, I think it’s a texture thing.

7 Karen October 12, 2011 at 8:28 pm

“The cooking lady” found and posted a kale dressing I like. Think they tag it as “hale to the kale”. It’s made with almond butter, lime juice, merjoohl dates, chiles, etc and it is good on ANYTHING but really makes kale into a wonderful salad
The best thing to remember about kale is go for young and tender
Dino kale is a good choice. Old tough curly kale is what some people remember tasting and they only think they hate kale

8 Julie October 15, 2011 at 10:21 pm

I’ve just fallen in love with roasted kale. Chop the kale, toss with salt, pepper, olive oil. Use a hot roasting temp, short cooking time & keep your eyes on the greens – they will roast to black very fast. This method makes the normal bitterness of kale turn earthy – yum!

9 june2 October 16, 2011 at 5:17 pm

I like it sauteed with olive oil and fresh shitake mushrooms. De-stem it first, then chiffonade the leaves. Only shitakes will do for some reason. Accompanied by quinoa and kabocha that is roasted, then sliced and sauteed in butter and lightly salted to form a crispy crust. A perfect meal.

10 june2 October 16, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Oh, and I do the kale breakfast smoothie too. It’s my standard breakfast because I can take it with me in the car. I use about half a bunch of kale w/ bananas, sometimes pineapple or frozen mango. It makes about 36 oz that I put into a polycarbonate bottle. I alternate days with spinach if you can believe.

11 Karla June 20, 2014 at 12:35 pm

Even people who don’t like greens or kale might like it in smoothies. At work a group of us use a Nutribullet at least once a week. We often use kale or spinach for the greens. You don’t even notice that it’s there depending on what else you put in. Today I made one with strawberries, yogurt, ice cubes, tat soi (an Asian green similar to baby spinach), and a frozen banana. Yum!